My two crazy Jack Russell Terriers (Terrors) are great companions and guard dogs. They protect us from countless squirrels, birds, and joggers. Each has a bed in my office, and they help me plot mysteries and listen while I talk through dialogue (if they’re not napping).
Here are some things I’ve learned from them.
1. Enjoy what you do. If not, find something else to spend your time on. There are way too many interesting things to see, eat, sniff, or bark at.
2. Don’t waste a beautiful day inside. Go outside and have some fun.
3. Wag and make friends. Relationships are important.
4. Don’t sit at your desk too long. Everybody needs a break.
5. Just go for it. If you want something, grab it. They don’t waste time over-analyzing things.
6. Bark if you really need to, but not too much.
7. Make sure you nap when you need to. You need to recharge.
8. Live in the moment. Don’t stress about what has happened or what might happen.
9. Play hard. Life shouldn’t be all work. EVERYTHING is a game to a Jack Russell.